Connect with us

Local News

Magna couple attacked in home invasion as gunman threatened to kill child, police say



MAGNA — Two people were arrested for a horrifying home invasion in Magna early Thursday during which police say the suspects threatened to “blow the brains out” of a 2-year-old child, shot the homeowner and stabbed his wife.

Unified police say it’s amazing no one was seriously injured.

Unified police were called to a residence early Thursday near 3400 South and 7900 West on a report of a home invasion.

“When officers arrived on scene, the residents were holding down a male who had broken into the residence,” according to a police affidavit.

A homeowner told police that just before 5:30 a.m., a man and a woman wearing ski masks entered his residence uninvited, went upstairs and started a commotion. The homeowner ran upstairs and confronted Colton Skeet Wilkin-McBride, who pointed a gun at him, the affidavit states.

The man ran into the bedroom where his 2-year-old boy was and McBride followed.

“The male continued to aim the gun at him and the 2-year-old and kept asking him for the money and keys while going through the closet,” according to the affidavit.

When the homeowner asked McBride to leave, police say he replied, “Do you think this is a joke? I am going to blow your son’s brains out.”

McBride then started moving toward the child, prompting the homeowner to grab McBride’s gun, according to the affidavit. During the ensuing struggle over the gun, “it went off next to the right side of (the homeowner’s) head.”

As the fight continued, the homeowner’s teenage son entered the room and helped his father hold McBride down. McBride then yelled for Monique Nichole Quintana Briceno to come help him, the affidavit states.

“Another person came to the bedroom during the fight and (the homeowner) described the person as holding a black Glock and wearing a black mask and the person shot him several times. (The homeowner) stated, “I thought I was dead,’” according to the affidavit.

Unified police say the gun Briceno fired was actually a pellet gun. After she shot her pellet gun, the homeowner’s wife attempted to take the gun away. Police say that led to a confrontation in the kitchen, during which Briceno grabbed a kitchen knife and allegedly stabbed the wife. But the family was able to get the knife away and fought back, according to police.

The homeowner told police that McBride “knew his name but he has never seen him before,” police wrote. Investigators do not believe, however, that the home invasion was completely random. McBride also said he didn’t want to go back to prison, as he was being held down.

The homeowner “sustained several injuries to his back, chest, neck and face requiring medical treatment. His wife received stitches in her arm from a knife wound sustained during the assault. (The homeowner’s) juvenile son received minor injuries while helping to detain Colton,” according to the affidavit.

After he was taken to jail, McBride urinated on the floor and “began kicking the urine around. He then removed his facial mask and began spitting toward officers and jail staff,” the affidavit says.

Wilkin-McBride, 27, of Salt Lake City, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated robbery causing serious injury, aggravated assault resulting in serious injury, possession of a weapon by a restricted person, theft of a firearm, aggravated assault with intent to injure, aggravated burglary, spitting at an officer and disorderly conduct.

Briceno, 33, was also arrested and booked into jail.

Police say McBride is currently on federal probation and a federal warrant was in the process of being written for violating his probation. And he has a warrant out of state, according to the affidavit.

According to federal court records, McBride was convicted of conspiracy to distribute drugs and was sentenced to one year in federal prison on September 2019.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *